- Facility Location and Supply Chain Analytics
- Health Care
- Intralogistics and Production
- Transportation and Mobility
- Board member of the KIT Department of Economics and Management
- Director at the Research Center for Information Technology (FZI)
- Director at the Karlsruhe Service Research Institute (KSRI)
- Board member of the International Department of KIT
- Editor-in-Chief for Operations Research for Health Care
- Vice President of IFORS representing EURO
- Member of the EURO Executive Committee
- Since 2011: Research Center for Information Technology (FZI), Karlsruhe: Director
- Since 2011: Karlsruhe Service Research Institute (KSRI), Karlsruhe: Director
- Since 2009: Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT), KIT Department of Economics and Management, Institute for Operations Research, Chair in Discrete Optimization and Logistics
- 2004-2016: Fraunhofer Institute for Industrial Mathematics: Scientific Advisory Board
- 2003-2009: University of Saarbrücken, Faculty of Business Administration: Chair in Operations Research and Logistics
- 1999: University of Kaiserslautern, Department of Mathematics: Habilitation "Geometric Approaches to Non-convex and Multi-criteria Optimization Problems"
- 1998-2004: Fraunhofer Institute for Industrial Mathematics: Head of the Optimization Department
- 1997-1998: Fraunhofer Institute for Industrial Mathematics: Consultant
- 1995: University of Kaiserslautern, Department of Mathematics: Promotion (Dr. rer. nat.) "Discretization of Planar Location Problems"
- 1992-1999: University of Kaiserslautern, Department of Mathematics: Researcher / Assistant Professor
- 2016: KIT Faculty Award for Teaching for exceptional teaching in particular in the lectures "Tactical and Operational Supply Chain Management" and "Location Planning and Strategic Supply Chain Management"
- 2012: EURO Award 2012, The Association of European Operational Research Societies, Top Cited Article 2007-2011, Elsevier European Journal of Operational Research
- 1997: Award for the best lecture in elementary studies for “Mathematics for computer scientists I: Linear Algebra”, University of Kaiserslautern, Department of Mathematics, winter term 1996/97
- 1993: Award of the Regional Savings Bank for the diploma thesis "Restrictive Location Problems"
- 1992: Award of the Deutsche Mathematiker Vereinigung (German Association of Mathematicians), Students conference